Monday, June 4, 2007

Dance The Night Away

Just want to put it out there so you all know what you have to look forward to on Saturday night...here's a copy of the email I just sent to our DJ regarding the big night (And by the way, the weather forecast is looking better by the hour...keep your fingers crossed)
Hi Rob,
I guess it's that time (more likely, it's been that time for a whileand I'm cutting it a bit close here 5 days before my wedding)...time to talk about the details of the music for our wedding night. I'm sure you've already got some ideas on the types of music we'd like to hear, but I thought it might make it a bit easier to give you a list of songs we're looking forward to hearing at certain points of the evening.
Some of the more important details:
We will officially be Mr. & Mrs. Michael and Kira Theesfeld. Our first dance will be to 'Cause I Love You, by Johnny and June Carter Cash.
Kira's dance with her father, Mr. Peter Ebert,will be to The Way You Look Tonight, by Frank Sinatra.
My dance with my mother, Mrs. Toni Theesfeld, will be to In My Life, by The Beatles.
We are not doing any introductions...no parents, no bridal party, no best men, ringbearers, flowergirls or guys who painted the barn and arranged the flowers.
We're hoping the music will capture a few distinct themes during the evening. Before and immediately after the ceremony, which will be taking place in a field next to the house and barn, we will be having a string trio play the standard string trio wedding fare. We're hoping that as everyone makes their way from the field towards the cocktail reception/dinner area, you can get things rolling with our first theme/style music of the evening. This is where we'd love to hear some classic italian/big band/old school crooner music...Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennet, Dean Martin, Loius Prima, Rosemary Clooney, Harry Connick Junior, Billie Holiday, Glen Miller...Mambo Italiano, some Godfather music, anything you might want listen to while you're
bustin' a gut eating a bowl of pasta and watching Goodfellas. There will be a transition between the dinner and dancing/desert settings, as we'll be leaving the tent/outside area and heading into the barn for the more standard wedding dancing events. Obviously, we'd love to have everyone in the barn as soon as the dancing starts, but it's most important they are there for our first dance...I'm not sure if you play a few songs first and then give us the stage or if we jump right into it...I think Kira and I would be happy to hear a few songs before our first dance, just to assure that we share the moment with everyone. Once we start rolling inside, we're kind of all over the place...there are of course the songs on our list which we'd love to hear, and then we leave a bit up to you, of course...we need to hear Captain&Tenille, Neil Diamond, Al Green, Barry White (My first, my last, my everything), Maceo, James Brown, Wilson Picket... I think you probably have a good idea of the music we like from our list...we're not looking for any group dances unless there are an overwhelming number of requests...I'd much rather do the white man's overbite dancing to Stevie Wonder than trying to put together the steps to the Macarena or the Chicken Dance. Judging from your conversations with Kira and our talks with Alex, I think you guys have
a great feel for the types of music we'd like to hear. We still have the lists you sent us, and if you'd like us to circle a bunch of songs and fax 'em on over, we can do that. I hope the list helps. We can bring a copy of the songs and any others you might need to assure we get to hear them...they're all songs we really look forward to hearing. Thanks again for everything, we're looking forward to seeing you on Saturday. All the best
Mike
Songs for Cocktails/Dinner:
Old Devil Moon-Frank Sinatra
You're Nobody 'til Somebody Loves You-Dean Martin
Mambo Italiano-Rosemary Clooney
Oh Marie-Louis Prima
The Best is Yet to Come-Tony Bennet
Mike and Kira's Dance:
'Cause I Love You-Johnny Cash
Everyone's First Dance:
Forever My Friend-Ray LaMontagne
Kira's Dance with her dad:
The Way You Look Tonight-Frank Sinatra
Mike's Dance with his mom:
In My Life-The Beatles
Songs to hear while we're dancin' the night away (fast and slow):
For Once In My Life-Stevie Wonder
Crazy-Gnarls Barkley
I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)-Aretha Franklin
I Want You Back-Jackson 5
Let's Stay Together-Al Green
Better Together-Jack Johnson
Virtual Insanity-Jamiroquai
Three More Days-Ray LaMontagne
City of Blinding Lights-U2 (this might be hard to dance to, but we love the words)
You Are So Beautiful-Joe Cocker
California Stars-Wilco
At Last- Etta Jones
Can I Stay-Ray LaMontagne

1 comment:

Ryan Enriquez said...

Mike and Kira,

This is your old trainer from Hoboken, Ryan Enriquez.

I'm happy to stumble upon this and see you two had a wonderful wedding. Keep in touch and send me an email.

RyanEnriquez56@gmail.com